Founded in November, 2006, the Center for Non-Traditional Security & Peaceful Development Studies (NTS-PD) in Zhejiang University is an international academic study and consultation institute which establishes itself in China but is oriented towards the world. Composed of scientists, humanistic and social science scholars, leaders from enterprises, and governmental officials, who are concerned about non-traditional security issues and devote themselves to social improvement as well as peaceful development of the world, NTS-PD has 80 researchers or so in 12 research groups. It involves such non-traditional security research areas as security theory, public crisis management, population security and simulation, public hygiene and security, energy security, information security, etc.
Professor Wang Yizhou, deputy director of Chinese Academy of Social Science Institute of World Economics and Politics, is the honorary director of the center. Professor Yu Xiaofeng of Zhejiang University is the director, Mi Hong, Chen Kun, Li Jinshan are vice director. NTS-PD also has professors from Oxford University, Harvard University, London School of Economics and Political Science, Peking University, and Tsinghua University and consultative groups consisting of experts and scholars from international academic institutes related.
Since its establishment, the center actively integrated academic resources and carried out very effective researches, and has already achieved remarkable achievements, including publishing first series of non-traditional college teaching materials” Introduction to non-traditional security ”, “non-traditional security and Chinese reality series ”, and some other influential academic works. The center has also successfully applied national major science research projects including national social and science fund project, tender project of Ministry of Education and the Ford Foundation project. The center has set up the “non-traditional security management” second-level subject doctoral programs, with four research directions of non-traditional security and international relations, non-traditional security policy simulation, international affairs management, public crisis management.
Idea and Mission of the Center：
• Pay close attention to global issues and world security problems;
• Pay close attention to the systematic and long-range development of countries;
• Pay close attention to cross, complicated, leading and foresighted serious social and economic problems in the course of social development;
• Be dedicated to establishing a discipline-cross platform for experts and scholars in various fields to carry out cross study and cooperation.From discipline-orientation to problem-orientation, provide useful decision-making reference for various sorts of non-traditional security problems, both theoretically and practically, for the sake of making contribution to the construction of a harmonious society as well as a harmonious world.
Project and Operation of the Center：
• (1) Simulation test base
•(2) Academic communication base
•(3) Decision-making consultation base
•(4)Talent training base
•(5) Cross-research system for innovation and demonstration base
• NTS-PD is to become a main database, think tank, and talent bank in the field of non-traditional security in China and a first-rank non-traditional security research base in the world in three to five years.