PhD, Professor, Doctoral Supervisor, School of Public Affairs, Zhejiang University
Postal Address: 866 Yuhangtang Road, Hangzhou, 310058, P. R. China
Research Areas: *Social Policy (social policy theories, welfare state studies and comparative social policy, global governance and global social policy); *Social Security (income maintenance, poverty studies and social assistance, health care policy and housing policy); *Social Work (social welfare, community work, elderly welfare, child welfare, gender issue and disability welfare); *Sociology (quality of life and social quality, social indicators research, sustainable development and environmental policy); *Social Administration (urbanisation and population migration, social administration and local government, social innovation).
Teacher (tutor and lecturer, 1983-1994) in Dept. of Philosophy and Sociology, Hangzhou University;
Doctoral researcher (1994-1999) and research fellow (1999-2002) in Dept. of Social Policy and Social Work, University of Tampere, and Senior Researcher (2003-2006) in University of Turku (Finland);
Docents (2005-Present) in comparative social policy at University of Tampere and University of Turku.
Professor of social policy and social work in Dept. of Sociology, and the director of Social Policy Research Centre of Nanjing University (2005-2009), deputy director of the Chinese-Nordic Cultural Centre;
Professor (2009 to present) in College of Public Administration, Zhejiang University, the deputy director of the Centre For European Studies of Zhejiang University, and head in the Dept. of Social Security and Risk Management, Zhejiang University, and the deputy director in Institute of Sociological Studies at Zhejiang University, The exective director in the MSW Center (social work) of Zhejiang University..
Vice President, International Association on Social Quality, Chair, The Asian Observatary on Social Quality (AQSQ); a board member in The Social Policy Committee of the Chinese Sociological Association; a board member of the Worldwide Universities Network (WUN) in its “the Global China Group” and “Global Challenge—Understanding Global Culture” group, and a board member in the Chinese Association of Social Work Education. He is the editor of《International Journal of Social Quality》, an international editor of《Nordic Social Work Research》and was a guest editor of《Journal of Comparative Social Welfare》 and《Development and Sociology》.
For undergraduate students:
Introduction to Social Security; Thoughts/Theories of Social Security
For graduate students:
In Chinese: The International Comparison of Social Security Systems (for MA students); The Key Issues of Social Security (for PhD students); Social Administration and Social Policy (for PhD students)
In English: Social Policy and Social Development in Contemporary China（for International Students on the “China Studies” MA program）; Social Policy Research (for Chinese students in MA program on executive administration), The Issue of Social Security and Welfare Services in China (for Nordic students on MA program)
1. Social Innovation: Driving Force of Social Change (EU project, the taking a sub-project on employment policy and social care), 2013-2017
2. The EU-China Collaborative Project on Environmental Participation (EU project, taking a sub-project on the institutional analysis), 2012-2014
3. The Studies on Environmental Protection on Sea Water of Zhejiang Province (the multi-disciplinary study project of Zhejiang University on Ocean), 2013-2014
4. Social Quality Theory and Harmonious Society (a key research project of the Chinese Foundation of Social Sciences), 2012-2014
5. On the Value Orientations of the Inter-sectoral Collaboration in Hangzhou City (Hangzhou municipal government), 2012-2013
6. The Twelfth Five-year Plan of Zhejiang Province on Social Welfare Development (Zhejiang Civil Affairs Bureau), 2010-2011
7. Life Quality and Social Quality: Studies on the Indicators System of Life Quality Evaluation in Hangzhou (Hangzhou municipal government), 2010-2011
8. Social Quality Theory and Social Construction (Zhejiang Provincial Government), 2010-2012
9. Social Justice and Income Redistribution (The Chinese Foundation of Social Sciences), 2008-2010
10. The Drug Users and the Prevention of AIDS in Nanjing City (The State Office of AIDS Prevention), 2008-2009
11. The International Theories of Social Construction (the focal project of the Chinese Foundation of Social Sciences, taking a sub-project on social security), 2006-2009
12. The Elite Researchers of China in the New Century (Ministry of Education), 2007-2009
13. Social Capital Studies (Academy of Finland, the participant), 2005-2006
14. Globalisation and the Chinese social policies (Academy of Finland, the participant), 2003-2004
15. The Cultural Foundation of the Scandinavian Welfare States (The Finnish Cultural Foundation), 2000-2002
Recent Publications (2013-)
*Ka Lin, “Social Quality and Happiness—An Analysis of the Survey Data from Three Chinese Cities”, Applied Research in Quality of Life (SSCI), 2014, DOI 10.1007/s11482-014-9352-0
*Ka Lin, Longfei Yi and Shuang Wu: “Housing Policy and the “New Citizens” of the Chinese City. On the Social Protection of Migrant Workers Regarding Their Residential Rights”. In Pauli Kettunen, Stein Kuhnle and Yuan Ren (eds.): Reshaping Welfare Institutions in China and the Nordic Countries, Helsinki: Nordic Centre of Excellence NordWel, 2014, pp. 211-227.
*Ka Lin, Pingjun Yin & Nicholas Loubere: “Social Support and the ‘Left Behind’ Elderly in Rural China: A Case Study from Jiangxi Province”, Journal of Community Health (SSCI), 2014, DOI 10.1007/s10900-014-9864-4
*Ka Lin, “Policy Responses to Care Arrangement for Reinforcing Work–Care Reconciliation in Different Welfare Regimes: Convergence or Divergence”, Nordic Social Work Research, 2014, DOI: 10.1080/2156857X.2014.916478
*Ka Lin & Raymond KH Chan: “Repositioning Three Models of Social Policy with Reference to East Asian Welfare Systems”, International Social Work (SSCI), 2013, DOI: 10.1177/0020872813503857
*Ka Lin and Hao Zhu, “Meeting the Challenge of Aging Society: Evolution of the Policy Target of China’s Elderly Care Service”, Shandong Social Sciences (《山东社会科学》), 2014 (2): 66-70 (re-printed by 《人大复印资料》, The Information Centre of Renmin University of China).
*Ka Lin & Chack-kie Wong: “Social Policy and Social Order in East Asia: An Evolutionary View”, Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development (SSCI), 2013, Vol. 23 (4): 270-284.
*Ka Lin: “Social Policy, Social Quality and the Trends of Development in Mainland China”, Social Sciences (《社会科学》), 2013.12. (re-printed by 《人大复印资料》, The Information Centre of Renmin University of China).
*Ka Lin: “A Methodological Exploration of Social Quality Research: A Comparative Evaluation of the Quality of Life and Social Quality Approaches”, International Sociology (SSCI), 2013, 28(3) 316–334.
*Ka Lin, Yong Li and Qui Shen: “Social Policy Innovation and Development of Inter-sector Agents in Hangzhou”, The Frontline of Social Sciences (《社会科学战线》), 2013.3.
*Ka Lin，Yun Xu，Tianhai Huang，Jiahua Zhang：“Social Exclusion and Its Causes in East Asian Societies: Evidences from SQSQ Survey Data”, Social Indicators Research (SSCI), 2013, 112 (3): 641-660.
*Ka Lin: “An Analysis of the Civil Servants—oriented Social System”, People’s Forum (《人民论坛》), 2013 (10): 62-64.
*Ka Lin: “The Speed of the Economic Growth and Its Social Effects”, People’s Forum•Academic Front (《人民论坛•学术前沿》), 2013 (10):76-83.
Theoretical Studies of Social Policy
* Ka Lin, Huaijuan Zhao: “Distinguishing the Models of Productive Social Policy and Developmental Social Policy and Its Implications”, Social Security Studies (《社会保障研究》), 2009.2 (re-printed by 《人大复印资料》, The Information Centre of Renmin University of China).
* Ka Lin, Mengya Chen: 《Social Policy Theories and Research Paradigms》, 2008, Beijing: China Labour and Social Security Press.
* Ka Lin, Eero Carroll: “State Institutions, Political Power, and Social Policy Choices - Reconstructing the Origins of Nordic Models of Social Policy”, European Journal of Political Research (SSCI), 2006, Vol. 45: 345-367.
* Ka Lin, Eero Carroll: “Theoretical Visions versus Policymaking Realities? Searching for the Logical Grounds of Expansion and Retrenchment Arguments in Studies on Nordic Social Policy Models from the 1960s to the 2000s”, Comparative Sociology, 2006, Vol. 5(1): 2-22.
* Ka Lin: “Cultural Traditions and the Scandinavian Social Policy Model”, Social Policy & Administration (SSCI), 2005, Vol. 39(7): 723–739.
* Ka Lin: “Sectors, Agents and Rationale: A Study of the Scandinavian Welfare States with Special Reference to the Welfare Society Model”, Acta Sociologica (SSCI), 2004, Vol. 47(2): 141-157.
* Ka Lin:《Confucian Welfare Cluster: A Cultural Interpretation of Social Welfare》, Tampere: University of Tampere, 1999.
International Comparisons on Social Security Systems
*Ka Lin: “The Development of the Social Security Systems in Latin America and its Policy Implications for China”, Chinese Social Science Digest (《中国社会科学文摘》), 2012.3.
* Ka Lin, Jiahua Zhang:“The Transition of Nordic Social Policy and Its Implications for Chinese Social Construction”, Comparisons on the Economical and Social Systems (《经济社会体制比较》), 2011.3. (re-printed by 《人大复印资料》, The Information Centre of Renmin University of China) .
* Ka Lin:“International Experience and Chinese Development of Social Welfare System” Zhejiang Social Science（《浙江社会科学》）, 2011.5.
* Ka Lin:“Income Gap and Social Justice: The Development of the Social Security Systems in Latin American Countries and Their Experiences”, Journal of Social Sciences（《社会科学》）, 2011.10.
* Ka Lin:“The Cross-countries Comparison of Social Security Systems and Its Implications for China”, Research group on the Strategy of Social Security Development, Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security in China: International Comparisons of Social Security System (《社会保障制度国际比较》), 2011, pp. 22-45, Beijing: China Labour and Social Security Press.
* Ka Lin, Huaijuan Zhao:“On Studies of East Asian Model and Its Problems”，The Academic Journal of Zhejiang University (Humanities and Social Sciences) (《浙江大学学报 (人文社科版)》), 2010.5. (re-printed by 《人大复印资料》，The Information Centre of Renmin University of China)
* Ka Lin：“The Expansion and Fall of the Productivist Model in East Asia”, Jiangsu Social Sciences (《江苏社会科学》), 2008.4.
* Ka Lin:“The Reform of Nordic Welfare States: The Policy Implementation, Effects, and Restriction Imposed by Their Institutional Contexts”, European Studies (《欧洲研究》)，2008.3.
* Ka Lin:“Studies on the Nordic Studies of Welfare State and the Logic of Their Policy Debates”, Social Sciences Aboard(《国外社会科学》), 2005.6. (re-printed by 《人大复印资料》，The Information Centre of Renmin University of China) .
The Strategies of the Chinese Social Policy Development
* Ka Lin: “The Strategy of Chinese Development and Its Prospect: A Shift from Pursuit of Life Quality to Enhancing Social Quality”, Exploration and Debate (《探索与争鸣》), 2011.6.
* Tuan Yang and Ka Lin: 《Social Policy Studies in Contemporary China VI》 (《当代社会政策研究VI》)，2011, Beijing: Chinese Labour and Social Security Press.
*Yong Li, Ying Sun and Ka Lin: “Social Innovation, Local Governance and Social Quality: The Case of Inter-sectoral Collaboration in Hangzhou City”, International Journal of Social Quality, 2011, Vol. 2 (1):56-73.
* Ka Lin, Xiaoqing Liu, Hui Mao:“Social Trust and Social Quality: A Data Analysis and Evaluation on the Zhejiang Social Quality Survey”, Academic Journal of Jiangsu College of Public Administration (《江苏行政学院学报》), 2010.4.
* Ka Lin: “China: The Art of State and Social Policy Remodelling”, in Alcock, Pete & Craig, Gary eds,《International Social Policy: Welfare Regimes in the Developed World》, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009, pp. 247-266.
* Ka Lin:“The Transformation of the Social Security System in China”, Zhaohuan Zheng ed. Social Security and Social Development(《社会保障与社会发展》)，2009，Hangzhou: Zhejiang University Press.
* Ka Lin: “The Development of Social Policy As a Discipline in China”, Exploration and Debate (《探索与争鸣》), 2008.11.(re-printed by 《人大复印资料》，The Information Centre of Renmin University of China)
* Ka Lin & Olli Kangas: "Social Policy-Making and Its Institutional Basis: A Study on the Transition of the Chinese Social Security System", International Social Security Review, 2006, Vol. 59 (2): 61-76.
Family Policy, Gender, and Housing Policy
*Hao Zhu, Ka Lin: “Home Care, Residential Care and Community Care: Coping with the Challenge of the Coming Aging Society”, Keqin Han, Jianzhong Wu, Xiangquan Zheng, Richard L.Edwards eds: Comparison of the Social Welfare in China and USA (《中美社会福利比较》)，2012，pp.146-161, Jinan: Shandong People’s Press
* Ka Lin, Lin Tang:“On the Methodological Implications of the Feminist Studies” Women Studies Forum (《妇女研究论丛》), 2007.1. (re-printed by 《人大复印资料》，The Information Centre of Renmin University of China).
* Ka Lin，Lin Tang:“Women and Social Policy --- A Discussion on the Transition on Women’s Role in Nordic Society”, Women Studies Forum (《妇女研究论丛》)，2006.2.
* Ka Lin & Rantalaiho Minna:“Family Policy and Social Order - Comparing the Dynamics of Family Policy-Making in Scandinavia and Confucian Asia”, International Journal of Social Welfare (SSCI), 2003, Vol. 12 (1): 2-13.
* Ka Lin，Hong Gao:“The Dynamics and Institutional Contexts of Development for the Chinese System of the Affordable Housing”, The Chinese Soft Sciences (《中国软科学》)，2007.1.
Sociology, Life Quality, Social Quality, and Social Administration
* Ka Lin: “The Prototype of Social Quality Theory and its Applicability to Asian Societies”, International Journal of Social Quality, 2011, Vol. 1 (1): 57-70.
* Ka Lin: “Social Quality Theory and Its Usefulness for Studying Asian Societies (Three Meanings of Analysis on Social Quality Theory), Chack-kie Wong ed., East Asian Countries and the Regional Welfare: Globalisation, Culture and Government, 2011, pp. 58-72, Beijing: The Chinese Society Press.
*Ka Lin: “Social Policy and Social Quality”, in Guangdong Survey Centre eds, Go with Happiness: The Dialogue with the Experts on Social Construction (《与幸福同行:转型期社会建设专家谈》), 2011: 52-78, Guangzhou: Guangdong Education Press.
* Ka Lin:“Social Quality Theory: A New Perspective to Study The Way of Constructing A Harmonious Society”, Academic Journal of People's University of China (《中国人民大学学报》), 2010.2. (re-printed by《中国社会科学文摘》，The Digest of the Chinese Social Sciences),
* Ka Lin, Hong Gao: “Social Quality and Social Construction”, Journal of Social Sciences (《社会科学》) 2010.3 (re-printed by《新华文摘》，The Xinhua Digest).
* Ka Lin, Laurent van der Maesen, and Paul Ward, "Social Quality Theory In Perspective", Development and Society 2009, Vol. 38 (2): 201- 208.
* Ka Lin:“Social Quality and the Theory of Harmonious Society”, Tiankui Jin and Huaming Peng eds.《The Front of Social Welfare Theories in the West》 (《西方社会福利理论前沿——论国家、社会、体制与政策》), 2009, pp. 311-328, Beijing: The Chinese Society Publisher.
Social Welfare and Poverty Studies
*Ka Lin and Hao Wu: “Evaluating the Charitable Efforts Made by the Governmental and Non-Governmental Organizations: Key Issues in the Development of Charity in China, The Academic Journal of Zhejiang University (Humanities and Social Sciences) (《浙江大学学报(人文社科版) 》), 2012，Vol. 42 (4): 132-142 (re-printed by 《人大复印资料》，The Information Centre of Renmin University of China).
* Ka Lin: “Welfare Society: An Social Ideal Or A Policy Model?”，Academic Monthly (《学术月刊》), 2010.4. (re-printed by 《人大复印资料》,The Information Centre of Renmin University of China).
* Ka Lin:“Toward Welfare Society?”, People’s Forum (《人民论坛》), 2009.10.
* Ka Lin, Xiaoguang Fan: “Poverty and Anti-Poverty: A Research On the Change of Poverty Patterns and the Anti-Poverty Policies”, Social Science Front (《社会科学战线》), 2006.1. (re-printed by《人大复印资料》,The Information Centre of Renmin University of China)
* Ka Lin:“Absolute Poverty, Relative Poverty and Social Exclusion”, Social Security in China (《中国社会保障》), 2006.140.
* Ka Lin: "Institutional Responses to the Changing Patterns of Poverty and Marginalization in China, 1950s-2000s"，in Zhang, Heather Xioquan & Wu, Bin & Sanders, Richard eds,《Marginalisation in China：Perspectives on Transition and Globalisation》, Aldershot: Ashgate, 2007, pp. 119-133.
* Ka Lin: "Chinese Perceptions of the Scandinavian Social Policy Model", Social Policy & Administration (SSCI), 2001, Vol. 35 (3): 321-340.
Social Work and Community Services
*Huanjuan Zhao, Ka Lin: “Demand and Supply: An Analysis About the Conditions of Social Work Profession in China”, Shandong Social Sciences (《山东社会科学》)，2012.6. (re-printed by《人大复印资料》,The Information Centre of Renmin University of China).
* Ka Lin, Yun Xu: “Studies on Awareness of Yong Drug Addicts About AIDS Risk and Its Influence on Their Behavioural Patterns”, Youth Studies in China (《中国青年研究 》), 2011.1.
* Ka Lin, Huaijuan Zhao: “Behaviourism: A Useful Approach to Study the Issue of AIDS Prevention” Social Sciences Front (《社会科学战线》), 2010.4.
* Ka Lin, Lun Zhou: “A Review on Researches about Drug Use and AIDS Prevention”, Social Work (《社会工作》), 2010.1.
* Ka Lin:“On Social Ecology of the Chinese Society to Develop Social Work Profession and Its Encountered Challenges”, Journal of Social Sciences, (《社会科学》), 2009.4. (re-printed by《人大复印资料》,The Information Centre of Renmin University of China).
* Ka Lin, Xin Zhong: “The Nordic Experience of Community Services in the Nordic Countries”, Zhejiang Academic Journal (《浙江学刊》), 2008.1.
* Ka Lin & Ke Su: “The Dynamism and Institutional Backgrounds of Community Work Development in Nordic Countries”, Zhejiang Social Sciences (《浙江社会科学》)，2007.1. (abstracted by 《新华文摘》,Xinhua Digest).
*Ka Lin, Juai Jin: “Debate on the Issue of ‘Social Work as Profession”, Academic Journal of Zhejiang Suren University (《浙江树人大学学报》), 2003. 2.